If you are thinking that if oil of regular car can be used in a lawn mower, then the answer is yes, you may use car oil in a lawn mower sometimes.
Oil is something that helps the engine to function. Just like cars, without oil, a lawn mower won’t run.
Changing the oil is a basic maintenance task that should be performed regularly.
Why Should You Use Car Oil In A Lawn Mower
The company’s that make these lawn mowers usually make oil for the mowers.
But I find them a bit expensive. You can simply use the oil you have already purchased for your car.
Before buying oil for your lawn mower, read the company manual.
They must have been suggesting the best oil for you. But you can work with SAE30 motor oil.
I usually prefer using the oil suggested by the company. But last month I was out of stock and my lawn needed an urgent mowing.
And was really worried about what to do. Then I did some research on the internet and found a good solution.
I found out that I can use car oil in a lawn mower. But I made sure the oil grade was same.
If you go through my post, you will get to know more about oil for your lawn mower.
At the end of this post, I will give you some tips to keep your lawn mower running all through the year.
Types of Oil for Lawn Mower
For your lawn mower the company has already chosen the best oil. And there is so much oil in the market to use in your mower.
Yet you can sometimes use car oil in a lawn mower.
But before that, you should know that you need to use high-priced oil for your mower. A great type of oil to use in your mower is SAE30 motor oil.
Different types of oil work best at certain temperatures. I have explained it with an image and table from my personal experience. You can choose your oil from here
|OIL TYPES||USED FOR|
|Different temperatures. Especially for cold temperatures. But Increase oil consumption|
|All temperature. Less oil consumption|
|Very cold temperature|
When to Change Oil for My Lawn Mower
You may be worried to think when or how often to change the oil of your lawn mower.
You can simply find the time duration for your mower in the user manual provided by the mower company.
But I would say from my experience that you have to change the oil as often as you change the oil of your car.
Some people may think I have installed the oil 4 months ago and haven’t used the mower since then.
I do not have to change it now after 4 months. But the answer is No. Because this idea may ruin the performance of your mower.
You have to change the oil even if you have not used the mower for a single time or may have used it for a few minutes.
The oil loses its character while staying in the engine for a long time even if it has not been used.
The oil capacity of a walk-behind mower is 15oz or 18oz.
So the ideal option would be changing the oil after every 50 hours you use the mower or annually in every 6 months if your mower was sitting idle.
Go for the one whichever comes first. And if you are out of stock then you can use car oil in a lawn mower. Just make sure the oil grade is similar to the company’s one.
For a riding lawn mower, the oil capacity is 48oz or 64oz.
It will be best to change the oil after every 100 hours you use the mower or annually in every 6 months if your mower is sitting idle. Go for the one whichever comes first.
How do I check the Oil Level
It is always good to check the oil level after every 2-3 months.
You can check the oil level of your lawnmower simply by following these steps:
- Start the mower before 2 to 3 minutes before changing the oil. It will make the oil less thick and will help out the oil to flow easily.
- Remove the Dipstick cap
- Apply some pressure and twist counter clockwise.
- See for the teeth on the cap match the groves on the dipstick tube
- Apply some pressure and twist clockwise to reinstall the dipstick cap
- Remove the cap again and see the oil level toward the dipstick blade.
Simple steps to change Oil in the mower
You can easily drain and reinstall the oil in your mower just by these 5 simple steps:
- Open the oil drain plug to drain the oil in a container.
- If the mower does not have a drain plug, tilt the mower to one side keeping the carburetor on the raised side.
- Before you use car oil in a lawn mower, drain all the oil from the mower. Drain even the last drop of the oil.
- Tilt your mower upright and add new clean oil in the mower.
- Tighten the drain plug and start the mower.
Tips for keeping your mower active all through the year.
As I told you that I will give you some tips for your mower. Follow these simple tips and keep your mower active for the rest of the year.
- Keep your lawn mower clean. Do not let it get dirty. Cover it with a cloth or something else after using it every time.
- Use good quality octane. This will help to run the mower better.
- Keep the in and out of the carburetor clean regularly.
- Clean the air filter after every time you use it. Change it after every 4 months.
- Do not use the same spark plug for more than 6 months.
- Use a high-grade engine oil. You can use car oil in a lawn mower too.
- Charge the battery regularly. Also, check its water level.
- Oil the joints and the screw to keep it functioning.
- Disconnect the spark plug wire as a safety measure.
- If possible get the gasoline out of the mower before changing the oil.
- Do not use a previously used oil in the mower.
I hope after going through my post you found it really easy to do your work and you have changed the oil of your Lawn Mower.
I hope you have followed the procedures, precautions and took proper safety measures before working with the lawn mower to avoid any kind of unwanted situation.
If you find my post helpful for your work then please let me know in the comment section below and also if you have any suggestions, query, or if you are willing to share your ideas with me, then, feel free to let me know in the comment section also.
If you really find my post helpful for your work and liked my post then you can also check on with my other posts.
I hope those posts will help you too.