Growing grass on the lawn does not take lots of effort. If you want to fertilize new grass for best results, then this post is just for you. To make them grow nicely and properly just like the way you want may need some effort.
Who does not want his lawn full of green, fresh, and healthy grass?
If you don’t want a patchy lawn, if you want to keep your grass look green and fresh, then you have to take some basic care.
Like watering, there are some other things you need to do for your grass. Fertilizing is something all plants needed for a better result.
If you are wondering how to fertilize your newly grown grass to make it look greener and fresh and to avoid patchy grass, then believe me this post is just for you. The same thing has been wondering in my mind too.
Then I took some steps and believe me that really worked great. You can also follow these steps and see how nicely this works for your grass.
After you follow my post, I will give you some tips that will work great for the grass of your lawn.
Reason for Fertilizing New Grass
The way our body needs vitamins and different nutrients other than regular food, the Same way plants and grass also need to fertilize new grass for best results
Fertilizers contain these nutrients that can improve the overall soil and grass health in your lawn and make them look green and fresh.
For better growth grass has some demands and fertilizers fulfill those demands.
With the change of season and growth level of grass, it needs these fertilizers. Moreover regular fertilizing helps to keep the soil quality better, fewer insects, less patchy grass, and fewer weeds.
Fertilizers You Need
To fertilize new grass for best results the main nutrients in are Nitrogen (N) which is important for the growth of leaves, Phosphorus(P) which promotes the root development and Potassium(K) helps the plant to fight against diseases.
Which in short is known as NPK. A healthy soil is more resistant to pests, weeds, and fungus. As NPK is made from organic matter, so there is less chance of harming the soil in the long run.
Other than these fertilizers, Cow dung can be a good natural source of nutrients for your grass.
From the ancient time cow dung has been widely used all over the world as a natural fertilizer.
If your soil is acidic, you can simply use lime to avoid the acidic condition of the soil. Acidic soil may burn the seeds or the grasses.
Time of Fertilizing New Grass
Other than regular fertilizing, New grass needs a different fertilizing that can be either of the following two times.
1. Before Sowing Seed
This is the best time to fertilize your soil. It is always better to prepare the soil earlier. If the food is already on the table, then you can just sit and have your meal.
You don’t have to wait for the food. In the same way, if the soil has the nutrients earlier and the seeds are sown, then the new grass will not have to wait for the food.
They can easily take the nutrients from the soil and grow properly.
Fertilizing earlier will provide your grass seed with a nutritional boost that can help as they try to take root and establish themselves. Fertilizing this way also helps to take good care of the grass and keep the soil quality better.
2. After New Grass are grown
If you did not get a chance to prepare your soil earlier by applying fertilizer or if you were short of time, then you can simply fertilize new grass for best results.
In this process, the seed and the fertilizers are applied together. Although the seed gets fertilizer but the soil gets less time to absorb the fertilizer.
Though I always prefer to prepare the soil earlier, yet if I am short of time, I follow this procedure.
Regular fertilizing Time for grass
Other than fertilizing new grass, all through the year, you can fertilize your grass. YOu can simply break down the fertilizing time depending on the season.
1. Summer Fertilization
Late Spring and early Summer fertilization are mostly for newly grown grass.
During this time you can help your grass a bit by applying slow-release Nitrogen fertilizer in a 40-50 days interval throughout the season.
This will help you avoid uncontrolled growth of grass for which you will have to mow your lawn more often.
2. Fall Fertilization
Fall fertilization is mainly done in the late summer or early fall. Applying fertilizer in the fall helps to avoid winter weeds.
Another benefit of fertilizing in fall is to keep your lawn color better throughout the fall. This will help grasses to avoid losing its color and look fresh.
3. Spring Fertilization
Spring fertilization is done mainly in the late fall or in the early spring. Once you mow the long grasses, its time you should apply your Spring fertilizer.
Fertilizing your grass during spring will keep the grass green up to the early summer.
Also keep in mind once you mow your lawn in spring, applying fertilizer will give a better growth during the rest of the time.
The Procedure to Fertilize New Grass For Best Results
- Before you apply fertilizer if there is already grass in the lawn make sure you dethatch your lawn and the soil is cleaned properly.
- Remove dead grass, leaves, stems, and rocks if there is any.
- Loosen the soil with an iron rack so that you can easily mix the fertilizer with the soil.
- Test the soil Before applying fertilizer. If the soil is acidic, use lime.
- Mix NPK with your soil in ration N:P:K = 1:2:1 properly and leave it for 2days so that the soil can easily adapt to the fertilizer.
- After 2days of applying NPK, apply cow dung to the soi, and leave for 2daysl. This will give a better result.
- Mix the soil properly with an iron rack so that the fertilizers mixed properly and the soil remains to loosen at the same time.
- Water the soil with the help of a shower so that it does not get dry.
As I told you at the beginning of the post that to fertilize new grass for best results I will give you some tips that will help you in the long run, so here are the tips. If you follow these simple tips, it will keep your lawn look nice all through the year.
- Choose the best fertilizer that your soil needs or have a deficiency for.
- Make your lawn weed-free. Weeds obstruct the expected grass you want.
- Make sure you spread the seed evenly to the whole lawn
- Water your grasses regularly.
- Use an antifungal spray to avoid rotting of roots.
- Mow the grass once it becomes bigger in size. It will help the soil to get sunlight.
- To avoid losing the soil quality use natural fertilizers.
Before fertilizing keep some things in your mind that may give a negative result instead of a positive result.
- Too much fertilizer or wrong fertilizer can lead to burning.
- Wrong fertilizer can destroy the ability of soil of that area to grow further grass or plants.
- A wrong fertilizing process could lead to a dry patchy and deadened lawn.
- Chemical fertilizers have some side effects which can destroy the soil quality permanently.
- Keep the fertilizers away from children so that they do not harm themselves.
- Wash your hand properly after using fertilizers every time to that it does not go to your eyes or your mouth.
So, guys, I hope after going through my post you will find it really easy to get to know the best time to fertilize new grass for best results.
I hope you will follow the tips that I gave you to follow before fertilizing the new grasses. Take proper precautions and proper safety measures before working with the fertilizers to avoid any kind of unwanted situation.
Now If you find my post helpful for your work then please let me know in the comment section below and also if you have any suggestions, query, or if you are willing to share your ideas with me, then, feel free to let me know in the comment section also.
If You really find my post helpful for your work and liked my post then you can also check on with my other posts. I hope those posts will help you too.